Sunday, December 2, 2012

urban angler

Travel sure has a way of getting to me. It likes to grab a hold and shake me around a bit. It tries to persuade  me every time to fall for that simpler life. Caught somewhere between the rat race and suburbia is all I ever known. You don't just walk outside here and find yourself in the middle of some great and magical forest. Mountains are a pipe dream and an hours drive in any direction won't necessarily find you solitude either. Nope, it's Home depots, Targets, and Starbucks as far as the eye can see. Believe me, I know, we go through much more effort then that sometime just to get sufficiently "lost" around here.

What I do know is, we have countless opportunities in our area for catching a good bite. My family is here, my job is here, so what if all the big fish hang around the end of a treatment plant discharge pipe. I enjoy fishing breakwalls, dams, and concrete just fine. For me, I will catch anything that swims for a smile and am perfectly content to go on being an urban angler. Time spent in the backwoods will just be that much more special.

the victory spoils for an urban angler sure are nice
Now for a freaking fishing report-

Fished the Milwaukee down low yesterday. Fish were really spread out and I had to really put in a good hike. Funny how easy it is to catch fish once you get further away from parking then anyone else. Once I got away from everyone the fish seemed way more condensed. It wasn't long till I was into some fish. Both hit came from pink glo-bug eggs.

i almost forget where i am
The Milwaukee River, while it flows though the heart of the city, does a great job of hiding the hustle and bustle. Oddly enough the bad neighborhoods have some of the best fishing on the river...

18 comments:

  1. Where do you fish in the Milwaukee? I live within walking distance of the Menomonee. It's much uglier than the Milwaukee, but it has it's charm. I'm a new subscriber to your blog. Here is mine.
    http://whatthekarp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinda a lame answer but I fish the entire thing. From down low in thr city up to west bend. Basically I fish from the city to kletch from salmon and trout. For bass and pike o go theinsville to west bend. Thanks for the comment, ill follow you back when I get home.

      Delete
    2. I'm kind of new to fishing the Milwaukee, I'm a Michigan native. I have mostly fished below Kletzch. I just started fishing the milwaukee in 2010 and I love it. I just started fishing in the menomonee this year. It's just so close, I can't resist. I caught a bunch of salmon out of there this fall. It's supposed to have an amazing steelhead run that I was really looking forward to fishing, but just a couple hours ago, i slipped and fell and broke my fly rod and I don't know when I'll be able to afford another one. I'm heartbroken.

      Delete
    3. Bummer on the rod, hope you can find a solution and you can get back after em...

      Delete
    4. Nate, buy an Orvis rod next time around. They have a series with a 25 year warranty. The clearwater series is the most affordable with that garantee. Next time you break a rod you can send it in, if they can't fix it they replace it with a new rod for free ($30 dollar handling fee). Beats having to buy a new rod.

      Delete
    5. I will keep that in mind for sure

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy the simple elegant style of this post. While I live in a rural setting now, it reminded me of the days I lived in Toledo, Ohio. There was a charming little water called Swan Creek that I loved fishing. It ran through all kinds of bad places but held some real gems as far as fish. I have some treasured memories from that era and body of water - hope to make it back there sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We as anglers typically make the best of what we got. Some don't know any better, others do but still swing away.

      Delete
  3. It is amazing what one will go through to get away from the crowd. I have been there and the solitude of being by oneself is worth the hike sometimes. Great looking water and an awesome brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a chunky brown for sure.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. I have personally taken several keeper striped bass at my plants effluent pipe, after work of course. I really get what you are saying. Being 45 minutes from NYC I don't see mountains in the distance, but the NYC sky line. Getting a slice of silence around here is priceless. Nice trout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you know what I mean. The simple life is calling my name.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful fishing! I need to get more involved in my fishing charters near Crystal River, FL. I love fishing so much and it is a very valuable skill to have these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something so beautiful in an urban setting. I love the idea of a large brown in the middle of all that madness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, ill be following along with your exploits

      Delete