Tuesday, April 1, 2014

creek creeping

I've been creeping around some local creeks for a couple weeks now. Many of the big rivers just iced out and most of the medium sized rivers locally are running high and dirty. While I am still fishless since switching over to fly fishing this year, I'm content just to finally be throwing some loops. As flows and clarity begin to level out I expect to find the fly fishing picking up.

fox river tributary flowing high and muddy
a trib to the creek above, a grandchild to the fox, if you will
The two photos above are places I scouted while out on a dog walk. While I didn't actually fish them, I did manage to make note a few access points. It's quite a long creek and should contain a variety of fish since its connected to the fox river. I'm going to spend some time fishing this a bit later in the year so I'm excited to put in some time getting the lay of land. On the other side of the coin, the new dog Bandit got some off the leash time here and I now realize that he is fricken nuts. Bandit needs some more training before I just set him loose again. He was a good sport about following me but had a hard time understanding when I wanted to leash him up again. It took me almost 30 minutes to get him hooked back up again. The highlight of our walk was Bandit falling into the creek and not being able to get himself back up the raised bank. I had to get a good hold on his scruff and yank him back on dry land.

love those hazy blue green pools, should be a steelhead in there somewhere, right?
Yes, there should be a steelhead in that long run, and there was. I hooked him in some brush just above where this photo was taken. I horsed him back out of the brush pretty quick but lost him racing down the gravel bend in the photo. It was a good trout with very nice shoulders, and that is the heartbreak story of the post. The fish ate an egg under and indicator. There wasn't a lot of fish in the river from what I can gather but I gave it a good try and covered a lot of ground out there, enough so that my legs were tight and on fire the next day.

a des plaines river tributary
My most promising discovery was this little gem of a creek that flows into the Des Plaines River in a 100% urban setting. The creek was running swift and clear and I gave it 20 mins tossing an orange wooly bugger with no takers. Being a trib to the Des Plaines I would have to imagine some pike run through here in the spring. My most favorite thing about this creek is the succession of riffles and pools in this lower section of water. It just seems fishy and from the looks of the bank, it doesn't see much traffic.


14 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous streams you found! Can't wait to see what fish you pull from them. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting to see what I pull out of them too!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. short answer "no"

      if your super curious shoot me an email

      I'll tell you Navy ;)

      Delete
  3. Look's like some great water. Definitely, doesn't look like they're from around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're tossing WB's, I'd get by Cabela's and pick up a couple Thin Mints. They are a dandy fly for this kind of water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad about the missed steelhead, but now you know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I love about this area aside from the beauty of the stream is the backcast worries are gone----thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like some sweet water to me. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete