Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Pink Squirrel Part 2 of 3: How To Tie

  A few weeks ago I posted the first part of the Pink Squirrel. Part 1 was an article written by John Bethke who is the creator of this magical fly . On Part 2 I took some photos on how to tie the actual fly while I was prepping for the opener. On a side note, this fly can be used for fish other than trout. In my First Ice! post the secret bait I was using was a Pink Squirrel tipped with a waxie. The squirrel/waxie combo was my biggest producer on the hard water this year. Enjoy! And I hope this helps you catch some fish!

Hook- Daiichi 1530     Size 12-16
Thread- Black 6/0
Tail- Rainbow Flash
Body- Squirrel Dubbing (Driftless Angler Has the best dubbing for this fly)
        - Small Red Wire
Head- Pink(shrimp) Chennile
         -Gold or Tungsten Bead
Step 1- First step is sliding your bead head on to the hook and starting your thread. Tie in 3-4 pieces of the Rainbow Flash for your tail. I usually leave mine long and trim the tail to my liking at the end of the tie.
Step 2: Tie in the red wire

Step 3: Apply dubbing wax to the thread and then apply the squirrel dubbing. I usually put the dubbing on thin to about 3 inches of thread.

Step 4: Start to wrap the dubbing from the back to front. As I wrap the dubbing for the body in I will pull out any lose dubbing material.

Make sure you stop short of the bead leaving enough room for your pink chennile. Remove any excess dubbing from the body
Step 5: Wrap your wire around the body 3-4 times. Tie off in the front and snip the extra wire.

Step 6: Tie in your Pink Chennile. I typically give the chennile 1 1/2 wraps to get up towards the bead. An alternative to this is using a pink antron dubbing. This is just as effective and adds a little sparkle to the pink for some flash. Tie off and finish with a couple double whips

Step 7- add some glue to your thread to hold your whip finish. Trim your tail if you tied it on long. Also some like to trim the body hair down a bit. I like to leave mine a little wild, because to me it gives it a little bit of a buggyer look. 


Enjoy this fly! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hope everyone has a great season! Tight Lines to all! Here is a link to the Driftless Angler Squirrel Dubbing http://www.driftlessangler.com/estore/details/29128/0/2827

19 comments:

  1. Brain
    The Pink Squirrel is a killer, but what is the squirrel/waxie? I may have missed that post. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, I was using the pink squirrel tipped with a waxie through the ice this winter. It worked great on the panfish.

      Delete
  2. Love how buggy yours is. Gonna get me some of that dubbing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you Brian, I just spent $70 at the D.A. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I am glad I could be of some assistance. Enjoy it. Mat at D.A. has the best blend out there

      Delete
  4. thats a great step by step, thanks Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blake! Are you fishing this weekend?

      Delete
    2. my wife has a birthday party to attend on saturday so that my only day, ill be out there all day saturday

      Delete
  5. Anybody ever tried fishing these in Colorado?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine has used them in the Winter Park area, and has had some good success with it.

      Delete
  6. nice tie. Have you tried replacing the pink chenille with some pink thread for a hot spot? I just might try that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the pink thread, but I have used the pink antron dubbing and it gives it a more fury look, and works just as good.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the tutorial on such a great fly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one great how to. I sometimes use pink thread, and like to use some pink marabou from one of my daughters broken toy purses. They all seem to do the trick.:) Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magee! I will have to give the marabou a try

      Delete
  10. Might have to tie me a few for myself, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. If you have any troubles let me know and I will try to help out as much as possible.

      Delete