Tuesday, October 23, 2012

fall bites, illinois bowfins

Fall is typically the time associated with fish putting on the feed bag to store up as much protein before the on set of the winter. While never specifically targeting the Illinois bowfin or even stumbling across one accidentally on my own, my buddy Shawn has been on a pretty reliable bowfin bite.



Soaking some very large live bite just before dark on his local lake has produced some very nice fish and a handful of smalls. We spoke of some of the recent catches and I could tell that he found instant respect for the tremendous power of these fish. Shawn, thanks for the stories and for the photo shares.

For more Illinois bowfin information, be sure to brush up with a few of these links.

Bowfin Are Bad Fish? Please!

Chicago Fishing: Bowfin or Snakehead

Upping The Ante

Why I'm Done Fishing For Anything Else




6 comments:

  1. Great piece and thanks for the link....

    I love when people and blogs bring positive attention to these awesome, native, and prehistoric fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no worries

      hope i can catch one sooner or later

      Delete
  2. Now try and get them through the ice! Nice job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like a good plan to me, that would be pretty sweet on a tiny ice rod

      Delete
  3. You have a great blog here! I love it! Hope to read more posts about fishing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only ever caught one bowfin, but I never targeted them. In Michigan we called them "Dogfish," I always wondered if that was just a regional thing. A fish that I just love to catch are freshwater drum, I'm going to write a post about them soon. They bite hard and fight even harder! you better hold on when fishing for drum! It hurts my soul every time I see someone catch one, club the hell out of it, and throw it in the trash because it wasn't a salmon.

    ReplyDelete