Friday, June 15, 2012

peak rotary vise- review

1st fly on my new Peak Rotary Vise
Expensive rods, reels, and lures don't make a better fisherman. In tying, a more expensive vise or materials won't teach you the technical skills to become a better craftsman. Lets be honest, these are just tools to make the job easier. Last night the kids and wife surprised me with an early fathers day present.  The Peak Rotary Vise is an entry level vise at a more then reasonable price. Made in Loveland Colorado, its also nice to know that your supporting families inside the U.S.

A few of the other online reviews gave this unit high marks with the only negative they had to say was the plastic knobs that tighten the tension on the rotary arm. In my opinion this is a non issue, and I'm sure this is a intentional design idea to keep from metal on metal contact in the turning mechanism. Set up was super simple and the unit was nearly ready to go right out of the box. I did choose to not mount the bobbin cradle cause I found it to get more in my way then actually serving a purpose. The rotary arm functions great and turns as smooth as a well oiled piece of hydraulics. 

Keep in mind I'm only a few flies in on this vice but I do have to say that its a serious upgrade from the ten dollar clamp on I was tying on before. I'll be sure to add some updates to this post as I progress with this vise.

You can reach Peak at
http://peakfishing.com 


9 comments:

  1. Awesome, my nine dollar vice is doing just great.

    Tied over 20 buggers last night along with plenty of ants and beetles. Hope it serves you well Bill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cheap vise was working great as well but I bought an upgrade to get started with the rotary function. It works great for turning flies over to attach things to the belly and for winding on hackle.

      It has sped the process up a considerable amount.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, looking at an upgrade too. I was using some knock off rotary from India that's getting close to seeing it's last fly. I'd be interested to see if your opinion changes after a hundred flies or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to say that the vise is one hell of a fathers day gift. I have heard great reviews on this vise as well, and made in the USA makes it even better. I may have to upgrade myself now. I have been contemplating an upgrade for a while, but the rotary function would make it well worth while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding i do have better control winding hackle on, cant beat it.

      Delete
  4. Great report and photos, an enjoyable read all round. Nice to see you posting again
    I love carp fishing and your blog is fabulous and great and very informative for who intrusting in fishing. I really enjoy your posts keep it up and I am waiting for more pictures keep it up and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete