Friday, June 29, 2012

Exploring the Kish

Summer has finally rolled in at full force, and brought a heat wave with it. I have been over consumed with the summer activities. Kids baseball and softball games, Deer food plots, fall hunting scouting, fishing, little miss beauty pageant for my daughter, and so on and so on.  I have only fished a handful of times in the past few weeks but have had some success.

I finally made my way back down to the Kishwaukee River in Boone CO. this past week. The river is starving for some rain just like the row crops that lined the rivers edge. I only found an hour of time to explore and try to hook into something. I brought with my 8wt. fly rod to try for pike and a spinning rod with a twister tail attached to try and hook whatever would bite. I ended up empty handed with the fly rod, but  I did however manage to hook into one fish and miss two others with the twister tail. I was hoping it was a smallmouth , but in fact it was the exact opposite, Largemouth. He wasn't monstrous, but it was a hook and land.


This little guy may have been pushing 6 inches if that. It was nice to see a largemouth in the river system though. I still have more to explore, and feel that I will find a good pike sooner than later. It will take some more trekking through the thick brush and fallen over trees, but it should turn out in my favor once I come across a nice deep pool.

5 comments:

  1. Best of luck in the pike search. I'm doing the same thing myself around here, trying to figure out where they're hangin out in the summer and what not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say look for the deeper pools holding smaller bait fish and some structure. Good Luck out there!

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a awesome adventure man!Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has been a mission, but things are starting to look up

      Delete
  3. All posts are good and interesting and I am sure that anybody who has visited that blog must enjoy after watching these posts. I personally enjoyed after watching these posts and I have availed lot of knowledge about carp fishing after watching these posts and I like these posts very much and carpbuddy.com is a site that provides lots of carp fishing news, carp fishing articles, carp fishing tackle reviews.

    ReplyDelete