Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Father & Son Outings

  As far back as I can remember, my greatest memories are spending time fishing with my Dad. Ever since I was 6 I believe, I have been fishing with one of my greatest mentors of the sport, my Dad. As I progressively get older I am starting to make those memories and teach my son the ways of fisherman and outdoorsman alike. In the past few weeks I have spent time on the water with both my son and my Dad, continuing the family tradition of fishing. Outstanding results have come from the waters. Walleyes,Bluegills, Crappies, Large and Small mouth, and even a handful of perch have been brought in on our lines.

  The first outing I wanted to share is the catch my son landed this past Saturday night. He has been extremely proud of it, but not as proud as I. He set the hook, reeled, and landed his second Walleye ever. This 16" googly eyed fish took him for a ride on his old zebco rod and reel combo. Because we where fishing at night I couldn't get a good pic to come out so we got a cool head shot back at home.


  My son has never been the bragging type, but I would have to say that every day since landing his biggest and second walleye ever, he has bragged non stop to everyone.


  The second outing I wanted to share took place on this past Sunday. After a hearty walleye/crappie fish fry, my dad and I headed out on the old Sylvan in search of some Bass. The old man used to fish Bass tourneys back in the day, and ever since his passion has been mostly focused on these finned monsters. I may have caught more fish number wise, but the old guy has still got it in him when it comes to finding quality fish. Most of all though it was just nice to shoot the shit, and get a line wet with dad. Quality times that are irreplaceable, and mean the world to me.

  Dad started off and finished off with one of his favorites, the Black Buzzbait. With temps rising here in the Midwest and Summer starting to get into full swing, the top water bite has kicked off with a bang. Lures also successful for the day was the twister tail and a stand-up jig with a green fluke worm. Here was a quality largemouth caught by dad.

  As for myself, I have caught so many fish as of recently I have lost count. On a better note though my walleye patterning has become a definite pattern, so stay tuned for more to come on that. One of my better fish that I have caught recently was this almost 11" Crappie.

  Father and sons or fathers and daughters, either way this is one of the best ways to get our youth involved in the great outdoors. Educating our youth to preserve our resources for generations to come is one of the most important things to me. Brad Bohen of Musky Country Outfitters put it best in the zero to hero flick.

 " The whole idea of Musky Country would be mute if it was only about the glory of the fish, or how good we are doing, or any of that, but it's really about the celebration of what we have here as a resource. Everybody owns a piece of this and it is special. It is a very very unique and special place. All the drama and romance that goes along with getting one is great, but it would be perverted as hell if that's all it was about, and if that was the only reason we where here. But when it really happens, there aint nothin like it."
                                                                                   -Brad Bohen

  I think this stands true when it comes to anything outdoors. The best way I have found to keep this true to myself is to teach the youth about what we have at our fingertips.

8 comments:

  1. Brain
    Great post by the way, you just can't beat fishing with Dad and your son. The times spent with both can never be replaced. Those are some nice fish you guys landed. One of my favorite top water lures is the old Rapala, and another one is a plain 6" lizard swimming it across the surface not down under. They will kill this lure early especially if you are fishing it over structure. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! I like the lizards when I am fishing up north in Wisconsin. It is killer for the Bass!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Defiantly! I have been waiting to use that one for a while now.

      Delete
  3. really nice post. Nothing better than spending time with family...glad the little guy has some thing to brag about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sanders! He asks me constantly if we can go out and get another. We have been out a few times, but he has yet to hook into another, but I have a feeling it won't be long.

      Delete
  4. Good stuff, what we teach is one of the biggest thinks we can leave behind. Who didn't have a Zebco 33?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! The old zebco 33 was the best reel when I was a kid to have connected to your rod. Thanks for dropping by Kevin!

      Delete